Thursday, January 20, 2011

What else will I need to complete the car?



The only outstanding items left to buy are a standard exhaust downpipe, cat and a pair of seats.
The cat and down pipe can wait partly because I need the cash and they are one of the last things to fit before the engine is back running again so there is plenty of time for that.  I suppose I could wait for the seats too but I found a couple of pairs of leather Honda S2000 seats online which I know fit as they were the same model used on the burnt orange car on the cover of CKC.
The one thin g I have noticed is that there are few enough cars to be known by the color or paint job. The CKC car is known as burnt orange. The Gulf car is a Murtaya with the Gulf Ford GT40 paint job. The Racer car I test drove was known as the red one.  There is a kind of uniqueness about this I really like.  I'm building an original car completely unique.

As I plan to use the car as a top down roadster I chose leather over fabric due to the inclement weather of our fair isle.  There are some colour options on the seats all Black, all red, or black sides with red centre panels.  The black seats looked a little worn for £350, the red are £440 with 4 point harness and the black and red look immaculate but they want £575 so I’ll see if I can talk them down a bit.  This poses the question of paint.  Black leather would be the first choice if they are in good enough condition because it will go well with any colour.  As far as exterior paintjob I still haven’t worked out a colour.

The trip over to Dewsbury led me to a scrap yard and into a weird warehouse that used to be apartments and offices with no lighting.  There were numerous sets of sports seats some leather, some fabric, some in pairs, some single.  I checked out the red seats and the red/black seats and realised I preferred the black seats.  I didn’t like the red and the others were just too expensive.  I worked my hands over the black pair checking the bolsters feeling for tears and wear marks in the poor light.  I checked to make sure the backs weren’t twisted from any accident.  Apart from wear on the right hand bolster which happens to all drivers seats and some marks where something had been resting on the leather the seats looked good and I agreed to take them for £350 cash.  When I got them out into day light I looked at my hands which were filthy from the seats.  They were going to need a good wash and some TLC.   

No comments:

Post a Comment