Thursday, January 20, 2011

Christmas and Tony

Christmas is just around the corner and the recent cold spell is really beginning to wind me up.  I really want to make a start on the donor car but with the snow melt turning to ice and the temperature not rising above minus 1C for the last 2 weeks makes working outside next to impossible.  Again I woke up to frozen water pipes and no water.  The snow has finally hit Exeter and I’m a little envious of Graham driving round in the red race car.



The Murtaya doesn't mind the snow.  In fact it might be said it revels in the snow as these clips from face book and you tube show.  Further evidence of the control and handling of the Murtaya.... and some good drivers.




Christmas now past I haven’t been able to do any work on the donor car.  The house pipes have been frozen for over a fortnight now and frustration is driving me nuts.  I haven’t been able to put the car on axle stands.  The only highlight recently was at my parent’s Boxing Day party I met Tony, part of the Dillon family.  Tony served his time with Lister Jaguar and has built a Cobra which is his pride and joy.  It had taken him 2 years to build.  He did a fully documented build with a ford 3 litre v6 which was picked up and published by the Cobra Owners Club.

I chatted with Tony for a while hearing some of his stories about the build, later upgrades and repairs after a BMW 5 series crashed into the back of the cobra.  Ironically in the event of an accident, even though you have built the car yourself, you are not allowed to repair it yourself.  It has to be done by a professionally registered repairer.

I got talking to Tony about the trestles Graham has mentioned and he was in agreement with me about lowering the car once it was a rolling chassis.  If I have the facilities to lift the complete car then the trestles will be fine but if I only have the ability to remove one trestle at a time there are some major issues to consider.
    
I had an idea where I thought I could chop a couple of 100mm thick fence posts braced on a couple of planks and bolting the bracing and cross ties with 12mm stud, plate washers and nuts.  This way I can lift the rear and remove the rear posts and lower the back of the car.  Then I can Lift the front of the car and remove the rest of the trestles car.  Tony agreed with my thinking and only added that I use two trolley jacks when taking the car off the trestles for more stability.




No comments:

Post a Comment