Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Day 10 - 18/1/11

Only a short day today, I was called into work last night on a break down and it was a 2 am finish.  Normally that would warrant a lie in but as the phone started ringing at 7:15am I gave up on any peace and after fixing the guttering on the house I made a start on the trestles.

I was a bit concerned about the height.  Graham had said 600mm and the one thing he pointed out was he’d never built a Murtaya at home before so he wasn’t sure what problems I might encounter from a home build.  Now he tells me.


There are two concerns. Firstly, for this project, despite having assistance from friends, I must take into account hours working on my own.  So the trestles need not only to be strong enough to take the weight but also the fact I will be swinging on my ratchet spanner assembling the transmission as well as drilling etc under the car and whilst it is a lot lighter than an Impreza it is still gonna smart if it falls on me with no one else around.  So I have spent a little extra to make a heavier timber frame fixed with M12 stud bar and plate washers that will be strong enough.  If it works I figure I can have a word with Graham and pass it on to a fellow Murtaya home builder in the future.

I cut the height of the posts at 750mm and made a mock up of what it would look like and figure it would be too high so after some debate with myself I decided as long as I could handle an electric drill or grinder vertically upright and still have reasonable control that would be the right height.  After a bit of experimentation I settled on 650mm.

No comments:

Post a Comment