Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Day 11 and 12 22-23/1/11

Graham called me yesterday he posted a couple of photos on face book of my tub which has arrived at the workshop. Yippee I can't wait to get my hands on it.






This morning I tided up the garage in preparation of the tub arriving and finish building the trestles.  I then popped to B&Q getting remaining hardware for the trestles (coach bolts etc.) and a couple of grinding disks.  I needed to mount one of my bikes on the wall out of the way to give me more space.  I sorted the various paraphernalia around the garage to create more space for the build then it was on to cutting the wood into the final pieces for the trestles.  I fixed the coach bolts into the initial pieces ready to assemble.  With the garage squared away as best possible I went back to working on the car.

First job is to get the pedals out.  Both the clutch and the Brake pedals are fixed through the bulkhead to the master cylinders. I began by bleeding the clutch fluid by taking the slave cylinder end of the pipe and putting it in a bottle and pumping the pedal.  The scary part was when I touched the pedal and it sprang back to the firewall with a bang.  I thought I'd bust something but it turned out to be the spring assist on the pedal.




There is an arrangement of pipes which I suspect was part of the bleeding system.  I was able to remove the whole assembly in one piece.  Then I removed the flexible brake pipes from each of the brake calipers putting each into an old washing up liquid bottle and pumped the brake system empty of fluid.  After removing the brake and accelerator pedals the master cylinder was free but could not be removed as the turbo heat shield was fouling, but easily sorted. I looked around the cabin of the car to see what else is left besides the fuel tank.  All that I can see was the gearbox gasket.  The last piece to came out with the aid of a screwdriver.




With the cabin now clear I put the remains of the interior back in the car.  It was alot easier to chuck it back in than it was to take out.

I then went under the car to have another look at what was next.  I removed the exhaust heat shield.  I looked over the propshaft, 5 bolts and the rear section should drop free. A dozen more bolts and the guards and mid support bearing will be free too.  And the is where we hit a problem.  These bolts haven’t been touched to 12 years (probably) and my 8 inch 3/8” ratchet is not up to the job of shifting them.  Time to call on the dad’s workshop and my neighbour Carl.  I borrowed a ½ inch extending arm from Carl so I have got some leverage and borrowed my Dad’s ½ inch socket set that I bought him for Christmas some 20 years ago – I knew it would come in use at some point. Right after I pick it up off the floor- I picked the socket set case up by the handle and the lid dropped open spilling everything over the floor.  We still haven't found 3 of the sockets.

No comments:

Post a Comment