Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Day 4 – 3/1/11

Clear day today and for the first time I can work on dry ground instead of in puddles.  My friend Dan popped round for an hour to see how I was getting on when he took a look inside the car and couldn’t believe the state of it.  To me it looked all logical but to see it compared to the last time he saw it as a working machine.  After Dan left shortly after new father duties taking priority and I set to work on the doors starting with the passenger door.  I was going to need the window lifting assemblies according to the list but I wasn’t sure about the wiring harness so I removed them also.

The passenger door was fairly straight forward and never having done one before took me less than an hour to disassemble with the door ready to be removed whenever I was ready.  The driver side door was a different affair.  This had a number of complexities mostly to do with extra equipment fitted in the door.  First there was the alarm servo for the central locking which was simple enough.  But there were three sets of cabling that disappeared into the bottom of the door.  I removed the glass the same way I had with the passenger door.  Now with the glass and lift assembly I could see what they were attached to.  There were a couple of boxes I managed to unscrew the metal box and looked at the labelling. MOTAROLA STKR0100 GB.  Great- it has to be a tracker but, the current one, or an old one?  And where do the cables run to? 

The second box made of plastic was attached by a short cable to the motorola but it was stuck at the bottom of the door.  With no fixings visible like on the Motorola box I presumed this box being held by a rubber adhesive of some sort.  It took a number of attempts with a chisel but it finally yielded.  It was, as I suspected, a battery.  I disassembled the tracker and disconnected it from the cabling and the battery.  Then I was left with the cabling harness.  Due to the extra cabling though the grommets and the cabling was harder to extract and required the grommets cutting away to get the connectors back through the bulkhead.  Finally the door is stripped just as the failing light stops play.





  Christmas break is now over. It will now be weekends and days off when Kim is available until the nights get lighter.  The Kit will be here by the end of the month and after looking under the car a wire brush is not going to be enough for a lasting paint job. I will try the wire brush heads on a drill/angle grinder.  But I suspect they will need to be shot blasted and then painted.  I’m wondering what the cost will be and how much I will need to get done.

No comments:

Post a Comment