Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Day 75: Silence is not Golden

I have been trying to get in touch with Ben and Graham without success.  I don’t have much in equipment outstanding but I could do with as much data as possible.  If as they have stated previously they have gone silent.

I recently went to the Stoneleigh kit car show hoping to find a fellow Murtaya owner so I could get some photos of a completed model to help with the build. But all I found was Arden Automotives, for want of a better description, rough build.  It was complete, but unpainted and in its roughest form to pass IVA and it was for sale.  It looked like an earlier version of the tub from looking at the condition of the GRP components, there was no carpeting, the dash wasn’t the same, the internal door release were manual levers from the donor car, it had no door windows and in all it was bare to say the least.  It looked like it had been thrown together - literally. So much so I didn’t take any photos.

The show itself was a little subdued compared to the previous shows I’d been to highlighting the struggling self build and custom build industry.  However there were some new ideas and some interesting developments including a couple of MX5 shell switchovers. One from Tribute Automotive converts a series 1 mx5 into what looks like a Ferrari 250 GTO without requiring an IVA test.  This makes for a low cost alternative for car builder wannabes and MEV showed its alternative skin option by actually doing it in the show in about 20 minutes (pre-work had already been done e.g. disconnection of headlights and etc).

The clubs made up for the somewhat subdued manufacturers halls, and the weather held off to bring out a fascinating range of cars. I managed to find the Single Ronart W152 which is another one of my favourites.

No comments:

Post a Comment