Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Day 74 Exhausting trip to Horncastle


I haven’t been able to do much since before Christmas.  But now things have warmed up again (above freezing) I decided to make another start.  Having worked with cables in my job I know messing about with cables when it is freezing below 1 deg C is a bad idea as the insulation can crack – Granted I’m talking about Steel Wired Armoured cable the thickness of my forearm but with a 14 year old wiring harness and the fact I’m freezing my butt off I decided not to risk it.

So my primary concern is the hole for this wiring harness from the engine bay.  The problem being to keep it away from the turbo catalytic convertor and down pipe, but not such that it will be exposed in the wheel arch.  I have to do the same with the throttle cable but that is protected by its metal and plastic sheath.  After mulling this over I decided I would need to put the downpipe in place to see what space I have to play with.  The HKS down pipe (marked competition use only) was not going to be any good as the downpipe I would be using would have a catalytic convertor round about the area I want to put the cabling harness.  So I put a few questions together for the lads at MSC one being where can I get a downpipe with a cat.  Last night, having not heard anything from the lads for a week I went hunting on Ebay. 

I have been looking round the internet on several occasions over the last few months the costs to be honest depressed me with figures of £400 - £500 for a full system.  With all the cars around that have had the cats removed and downpipes increased in bore you would have thought there must be somewhere I can get a second hand unit.  The cat is important the reason being the IVA test on emissions.

Emissions levels on the IVA is one of the more “political issues” on the test.  The levels are, I believe, the same as any MOT test.  However, most of the replacement cats available online that say they will pass MOT will only actually pass when they are Hot full operating temperature.  On the IVA test they put a temperature probe in the oil dip pipe and take the emissions reading from when the oil reaches 80 Deg C at which point the cat is not fully up to normal operating temperature hence it can fail on emissions.  This is what I am trying to avoid, obviously.

So back to the internet. After trying a few more new websites which told me nothing I didn’t already know I gave Ebay one last try.  Jackpot! There it was a Full classic STI exhaust system original downpipe, 2 Catalytic convertors and a Subaru back box.  It still had 6 days to run but with no bidders.  My own paranoia made me decide not to bid but to pay the asking price.   I got a call from the seller half an hour later and this morning with the sun shining I drove across the bridge en route to Horncastle.

The seller wasn’t there it was his father in law who ran a small garage.  The unit had been his son in laws who had used it to get his Subaru through its MOT each year until he crashed it a couple of years ago and was now driving a 2.5litre model.  Closer inspection showed it in good condition with nothing from my limited understanding to indicate there was anything wrong with it.  So money paid we put it in the back of my car. This leaves me with a small issue for later on the pipe ID is 57mm whilst the tail pipe unit in the kit is 72mm.  This I will solve later.  It is not a difficult problem.


Other questions I put to the lads @ MSC  were the structural PU adhesive nobody local or internet could offer me anything that they would describe as structural PU this had been really frustrating. I chatted with a mate at work and he directed me to a the U-Pol site.  After some browsing I found U-Pol Stronghold panel adhesive.  A fast curing adhesive designed to stick GRP panels together and GRP to Aluminium which U-pol describes as semi-flexible.  It is as close as I can find to what Graham had described in previous discussions.  It’s not cheap @ £27.00 for a 200ml tube but at least I can make progress.

My other question which I need a response to is this cable hole was if they knew of another owner that I could ask for some photos of the cable routing in the engine bay round the turbo.

No comments:

Post a Comment