Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Day 73: Winter is coming and the goose is getting fat... well me actually

The winter solstice tomorrow, at last the nights will start getting shorter. It is bloody freezing in the garage.  Work is not progressing at any rate of knots.  Every time I reach a point where I have to think what to do next or work out what needs to go where I start to freeze.
Note to self: Next time you build a garage fit under floor heating.

I tried laying out the wiring loom about the garage floor on cardboard and identified which plugs I would need and which I wouldn’t.  Those that I wouldn’t need I taped up to the loom.  Once I was reasonably satisfied I laid it in the car.  I pulled the loom for the rear of the car as well as the boot release. I figured to use the bottom boot catch as a grounding point for the rear lights. So I removed the boot lid latch and mounted the bottom release (the last thing I need to do was lock the boot with no method of release).

Then I came across a problem the connector for the fuel pump and sender harness was halfway down in the sill of the car and there was no way the fuel pump loom would reach.  This would be the start of the harness modifications.  I had recently bought a couple of reels of cable red, black, brown and blue. At least I can keep warm with the soldering iron.
I pressed on with the other legs of the loom passing them through the forward bulkhead into the engine bay working out the other changes I would have to make.  The windscreen wiper motor would now be mounted inside the car instead of the in the engine bay as it was on the donor car.  It is a new mono wiper blade system. And I’m assuming the screen wash “bladder bag” and pump will also go in the inside but will have to confirm with the lads at MSC before stripping back the loom so the cables.  There was something wrong and it was bugging me.  The internal fuse board. The board was originally mounted above and to the right of the accelerator.  The board links to both the internal loom and to the engine bay loom. So getting the position right is going to be critical.  And so far the harness isn’t in the right place to mount the board.  Now because the distance between the wheel is actually shorter (hence the prop shaft had to be shortened) in theory I should have a bit more loom spare. But I still have the problem of cutting a hole for the engine bay loom.

No comments:

Post a Comment