Monday, February 21, 2011

Day 20 – 18/2/11 Do cranes fly south for winter?

Because I’m thinking mine has flown the coop.  I called the place I got the crane from and explained the problem.  To their credit they agreed to send me another jack unit and this morning it duly arrived.  I got home, mounted it in the frame, and....  It wouldn’t lift the arm.  Doh! I lifted the arm by hand and it held solid indicating there was oil in the cylinder.   I couldn’t believe it, the same problem? It looks like it. I double checked the release valve, it worked and wasn’t leaking.  I sent them an email directly explaining what I had done. They responded an hour later agreeing to send another next week. I hope they test this one before they courier it.

I still had an hour of daylight left and with the weather looking distinctly poor for the weekend so I headed back out and worked on the remaining nuts and bolts holding the rear sub-frame and suspension to the car.  After the problems of shearing bolts and rounded nuts with the rear anti-roll bar I wasn’t looking forward to the remaining fixings.

However my apprehension was unfounded and with a little help from the make do ratchet extension I was able to crack the remaining nuts and bolts before night fell.

No comments:

Post a Comment