Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day 16 – 7/2/11 Engine out or bust

Fresh start, the wind was howling everywhere fences rattled, some eventually yielding to the wind.  The clouds were dark, but at least it wasn’t raining.  I took the car cover off and lowered the back of the car down onto the rear wheels.  Then I placed the trolley jack under the gear box mount and raised it to take the load and undid the gearbox sub frame fixings all of which came off with surprising ease.  My Uncle then turned up to take a fridge and freezer I needed rid of to make space for the Murtaya parts arriving with Graham and the tub tomorrow.

Fridge and freezer gone it was time to crack the nuts on the last sub frame.  I went though in my mind what I was planning to do and in explicable I decided to take the front anti roll bar off. It just seemed like a good idea and one less thing to worry about.

Having already attached the crane on the engine just as Graham had described with a shackle I lifted the crane to take the load and unbolted the four final fixings on the sub frame with the aid of my shopping display ratchet extension. Okay that was easier than I’d thought.  I put some blocks under the sub frame and slowly lowered the engine down onto them.  I unhooked the engine and pulled the crane away. First stage a success!! Engine and car separated.


Next I took the Passenger door off and put the crane arm into the car and lowered the hook down to where the gear stick had come up through the central tunnel of the car.  I took two pieces of the shop display and wrapped a strop around them a couple of times and put it under the car passing the ends up through the hole in the centre tunnel and fastening the ends to the crane hook.  I was then able to lift the front of the car as high as I could mount the front axle stands. Then I was able to go back to the engine sat on blocks.  Somehow I need to lower the engine further and slide it out from under the car.




In the CKC build document they lowered it on to a sheet of plywood and pulled it out with a Rover. So I’m thinking how am I going to drag the engine by myself?  It’s not the dragging that concerns me.  It’s the 8 inch high ramp into the garage that concerns me
   
So I spent the next 2 hours working out different potential ways of getting the engine out from under the car and getting it up the ramp.  After numerous attempts I was almost ready to call it a day and get graham to give me a hand tomorrow. Then I twigged that it I put the crane under the car and rested gearbox on one leg and used the arm to lift the engine slightly so it was just off the floor I could move the crane, engine et al a few inches so that the front part of the engine was clear I then lowered the engine and re-slung the strops and chains and lifted again. Pulling the crane again I got another few inches. Again I lowered the engine and re-slung the chains and lifted.  This went on repeating the process until the chain and strop were outside the engine bay.  That was it. Second stage a success!!  The sun came out, blue skies, the gusting wind was a gentle breeze and all seemed right in the world.

The third stage of actually getting the whole kit and caboodle into the garage now seemed something that would require some physical muscle.  I contemplated calling a couple of friends to see if they could spare half an hour on their way home from work as it was now gone 3 in the afternoon.  But I thought lets just see if I can get the back of the crane on to the ramp.  I managed it, Okay now lets see if I can get the back of the crane up the ramp. Success! Get the first set of three sets of wheels over the garage door wash guard? Yup! By now I was getting tired out but was so close. The next couple of steps were similar, basically brute force and leverage with a piece of 3x2 timber.  But the engine and gear box were now in the garage. Job Done!

The only down downside was when I tried to lower the car back down to a reasonable height on the axle stands.  I repeated the same procedure as I had to lift the car, but the arm wouldn’t lift.  It would raise without load but as soon as the load it stopped lifting.  I think I might have stuffed the hydraulics, but on the whole a successful day.









Tech Tip: After removing the engine on my own I can recommend one thing. Don't Bother!  Phone a friend! And if you haven't got a friend just find someone who bares you no malice.  I was exhausted by the end of the day.  I'm not confident moving such a large heavy piece of hardware.  It took me the best part of six hours simply because I was being ultra cautious and I was not about to put myself or the engine at risk.  With someone there to help it wouldn't have taken much more than an hour or two to achieve the same result usually followed by a very enjoyable beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment