Monday, February 14, 2011

Day 18 – 13/2/11 Been down the pit?


Got home on Friday afternoon and went straight on to the car for an hour or so. Plan is to get the rear sub-frame out this weekend. First stop the fuel inlet pipes.  They are covered by a plastic cover in the rear wheel well.  The plastic cover is also holding back about 12 years of road muck.  The dirt has taken its toll on the metal work thinning the plastic covers fixing brackets to the thickness of paper and completely solidifying the nuts and bolts.  I dug out all the muck with a screwdriver and tried to undo the fixing bolts.  I was still working on the two fixing bolts when the garage flood light came on and I realised it was dark. The corroded thin brackets and the lightweight plastic cover made trying to get a solid grip on the bolts impossible the top one kept flexing and the lower bolt was spinning but not coming out.

The bottom of the plastic guard is hooked on to the fuel filling pipe.  Frustrated I bent the bracket and pulled the bottom of the guard away.  The guard sprang free and deposited what I can only describe as a large handful of muck into my face.  I rolled out from under the car coughing and spluttering dirt in my eyes up my nose in my mouth and ear.  I had enough for the day and packed up.  When I got in I looked at myself in the mirror I looked like Jeremy Clarkson after he’d done London to Edinburgh on the footplate of a steam loco.  A beer to swill the grit out of my mouth is the order of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment