Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Day 50 Done up like the proverbial Kipper

I got up this morning and just leaving the house when I saw a white box stuck outside the front door.  It was a Fedex box. It wasn’t left there last night so I guess it had been an early delivery.  I wasn’t expecting anything so my curiosity was raised – more toys from the boys?  I opened it and inside was a stiff envelope usually used for photos from Murtaya sports cars.  On the back it had a label: Documents Enclosed – multilingual instruction manual and step by step photo build. Coolio! At last a manual.  I opened the envelope and found only a couple of pages closer inspection revealed the assembly instructions for a “princess cozy coupe kiddie car” (the photo speaks volumes).
 










The Cheeky Buggers! It was a wind up.  And to be honest it had me chuckling all day.  But I had to respond in return besides I had a question on the door hinges. So this was my response 
Hi guys,

Great suprise with the delivery this morning - absolutely brilliant! As you can see from the photo I completed it no problem, even the roof.  Amazing the progress you can make with a manual. Still not sure about the colour scheme though? and the man from Autoglass thought I was taking the piss when I asked him to fit the windscreen....
 
 ...cheers

I got home and after sorting the blog out I went back to the hinges and took them off the doors I compared them up to one another to see the difference but they were fine then I had an idea and put the two doors side by side.  Bingo! Its time to play spot the difference. Can you see it?
Yup! The top nut fixing for the lower hinge (third one down) is 5mm out on the passenger door (the door on the right).

I called the lads at MCS and we discussed options there appear to be three, modify the hinge so it mounts vertically. Alternatively drill out the rivet nut, fill the hole and re-drill it but I don’t have a replacement rivet nut let alone a device to fit it. The third option would be to drill out the rivet nut and use a longer Nut and bolt with a spreader washer on the back.  This brought up another option on the doors.  In the past a number of builders have had issues with flex in the door when sorting out the alignment.  This can be fixed by standing the door on end and pouring in more resin.  Once cured the problem should be sorted.
We also discussed a few other things regarding the nose cone and boot hinges which I now find were incorrectly put together.  This was in part to the number of nuts bolts and washes in the schedule.  So I asked them to check the schedule.
 On Sunday I got a call from Dan who, after I recounted the story of the fedex package, confessed that he was the culprit.  The bugger! So it was a somewhat explanatory email I sent to the lads at MCS who were probably thinking I’m a right fruit loop.  I think Dan needs a new job he clearly hasn’t got enough to do – Maybe I’ll send an email to his boss explaining just how good a worker he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment