Monday, December 19, 2011

Day59 - An all round Star

The “Powerfile” took longer to arrive and when it did it was missing two components.  So back it went and it took a couple of weeks freepost to return.  I did some searching online and it would appear that although the details state there were two accessories they do not include them and you can’t get them online.  Luckily they refunded my cash. So I was looking for a tool that I could use to finish off the intakes once the saw had done its job.  Then I saw the all rounder from Bosch.  A few videos online showed it cutting metal and wood flush to a surface.  I made my mind up to give it a try and wow I’ll be flogging the reciprocating saw.


This little tool cut straight lines through the GRP like it was butter.  It worked a treat.  Louis, Nicola, Mark, Jenny and James turned up to show Louis and James the car and have a bit of a catch up. I haven’t seen Louis in a couple of years but he has been following my progress on here. This was the first time he’d actually seen the car.  It was James’ first time to see it as well but seeing as he is two years old it might be a while before he truly appreciates it.  Although to his credit he did ask a few questions.

I didn’t get much done for the afternoon a local Neighbourhood watch meeting with the local police community support officers took an hour and there were issues that needed addressing. Once done I cracked on with the cutting. With the noise of the all rounder, drill and Dremel I didn’t hear any of the fireworks going off nearby.  When Louis texted me asking if I was joining them at the local fireworks I suddenly realised the time.  Sorry Satch! It would take me over an hour to tidy up and washed and out so I sent my apologies and cracked on with the bonnet.



Sunday morning, suns out and time to finish the vents on the bonnet.  The all rounder has been brilliant and I’ve made some progress yesterday and now it is time to finish it off. When I cut the 4 top bonnet vents I was wondering what to do about the top cut.  I had already done the bottom cuts no problem. But I need to make a parallel cut.  I looked around the garage and found a piece of Kitchen worktop splash back which I cut to the desired shape to fit in the “duct”. This, in principle, was fine however the duct has a curvature in it causing the piece of splashback to rock a bit.  I took a chance and made the cut placing the all rounder on the piece of splashback ensuring the wood under the blade was always flat against the bonnet. Then I realised I had made a basic error I should have drilled out the two ends first But I was so concerned about getting the straight edges right I forgot about the ends.  I managed to rectify the issue by cutting diagonally through the waste between the two cuts and finishing off with a file. Job done. I moved on to the rear side vents which after looking at various photos of murtaya on line these are a multitude of shapes and in some cases they haven’t been cut at all.  But I did remember Graham telling me that whilst they are largely aesthetic they are not entirely without use as they act as handles when lifting the bonnet.  I decided to put them in as the last thing I want is to lose control of the bonnet as it is being lifted.  After which I called it a day and noticed that every cobweb in the garage was now “snowcovered”.

No comments:

Post a Comment