Saturday, July 30, 2011

Day 44 – 29/6/11 Its a needle in a haystack time – I knew this would happen

With the outside temperature rising into the thirties I expanded the holes from 8mm to 12mm using the step cutter and with the aid of a heal bar managed to line up the holes enough to get the bolts through. I put all the hub bolts in place it all fitted fine. I gave the hub a “strong tap with the rubber mallet to see if the shaft would slip over the circlip in the differential and into the correct position.  It didn’t budge.  I decided I would pay it further attention later with some timber and a bigger hammer and a cooler temperature.  I have a mat to lie on when working under the car but the garage was like an oven. And it was more comfortable to lie on the cooler concrete floor.  I even opened both garage doors to try and get some air flow through.

For now it was on to the bottom brackets on the diff nose mount.  They lined up no problem. I was concerned they were a little low and the spread washers on the other side would foul with the floor but need not have worried.
    
I climbed into the tub and armed with a tape measure, a steel rule, a silver paint pen and a pencil.  The MSC Forum had a drawing of the holes that need cutting for the central tunnel. These constitute two grommet holes for the handbrake cables, Handbrake cable clamp, handbrake mounting holes, gearshift rear mount fixing holes and gearshift access hole.  First is a Line straight across the rear of the tunnel. That’s straight forward.  The next is a centre line along the tunnel.  This is more by eye than anything.  With the tub being a manual layup there are no reference points to measure from to get a centre line.  For the handbrake this is a more aesthetic the cables have a small amount of “play”.  I suspect the gearshift rear mount is a different concern but there are bushes that allow for a little play and then there is the gearshift.

I found the gasket clamp and laid it on the tunnel.  The gearshift gasket has two locating points on the clamp on the centre line of the clamp. I tried numerous different points to find a measure from to get a centre line.  For some reason I was always 5mm off.  Side of the tunnel, side of the tub it made no difference.  It was always 5 mm out.  So this is going to be a “by eye” measurement.  I marked up the best centreline I could and measured off the centres for each hole.  Then I got the new handbrake out of its box -A Rover handbrake.  I wondered why? but the different method of adjustment and the length of the link cable soon gave me the reasons why.
Right now I need the handbrake cable clamp.  Now where did I put it... I went through every box of gear I had stored from the donor – no joy.  Then I tidied the whole garage and went through each box again including my tool chest - still no joy.  Where has it gone? I know what it looks like, I remember taking it off the donor car.  Two pieces of metal, fixing holes top and bottom with the top piece bent at each side to capture the outer handbrake cable sheath.

The scorching temperature of the garage and the lost handbrake clamp did a bloody good job of winding up my frustration.  I knew I’d lose something from the start.  I’d tried so hard to label, tag and store everything I took off the car so where in Hull did I put it!  I stood there soaked in sweat my language becoming some would describe as colourful, bordering on the flouresant.

There was one last place to look - The donor car.  I couldn’t believe I’d leave it in there -I knew I needed it.  I even remember taking it off.  I took the canvas cover off the donor car and started removing the doors, glass, interior panels, air ducts, speakers and redundant steelwork.  After emptying one side with no joy I started on the other side.  Eventually as I removed the last piece of duct there it was in the back of the passenger footwell.  The two pieces one on top of the other as intended, staring up at me.  I could almost see it smiling up at me – you bugger!

I put everything back in the donor car, pulled the cover over it and called it a day.  Still at least I had cleaned the workshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment