Saturday, July 30, 2011

Day 41 – 15/6/11

This evening I did a little adjustment on the holes I cut out on the last session and the first rear suspension top was done.  I’d like to say the second was done in half the time but it took just as long. However, not as long as I took struggling with actually fastening the nuts in place. Two nuts went on with no real issue but the third is very close to the top of the tub and it is a tight fit.  I eventually gave up on the third simply because my arms just aren’t long enough and fingers too thick.  This would have to be a job for Kim the next time she comes up as she sports a distinctly slimmer figure and more nimble fingers.


small cameras can get in all sorts of places my hands can't

I moved on to the steering column again.  I had spoken with Graham (MSC) who said they were aware of the problem and that I should be able to mark up and improvise the holes.  So I set about mounting the brake pedal.  The accelerator and brake pedals are made one by a spot welded plate.  First job is to drill out the spot welds.  No problem, and the two pedals are parted. I mounted the brake pedal to the servo unit and then looked to the steering column bracket.



I held it up to the underside of the dash laid on my back in the tub trying to get the bracket dash fixing holes and the pedal mount holes to line up.  Not a chance.  No matter how I tried I couldn’t get four fixings on the dash and three fixings on the pedal brackets.  The only way I was going to mount it on the dash is if I space off the brake pedal from the bulkhead.  I went back to the donor car with a set of calipers.  On the donor car the brake pedal was spaced off the bulkhead by four 20mm spacers welded to the bulkhead.  So I need a few spacers.  I called it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment