Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Day 24 – 26/2/11 It’s all about the scrubbing

This weekend is all about cleaning and stripping the remaining parts from the engine. I have managed to strip the rear sub frame and now it needs wire brushing, cleaning and readying the parts to remove the bushes and paint.  I will also have to find some pipe to make a couple of bush extraction tools similar to those used on the You Tube demonstrations.

I cracked the fixing bolts that were holding the gearbox and engine sub frames.  Then after lifting the engine slipped the sub frames out.  One of the powered steering pipes was still connected to the engine steering pump.  I disconnected it at the pump end simply because the steering shaft end was covered in oily road grime.

Once the sub-frames were out it was a simple job to clean the grime off the steering rack and remove the pipes before taking the whole rack off the sub-frame.  Then it was out with the degreaser and brush/scrub down all the sub-frames. Engine and gearbox are fine but the rear sub-frame has alot more corrosion in comparison.  They may not be bushes but there is definitely some rubber in there but the corrosion may be hiding it.  Shot blasting is one answer but if there is rubber in the joint shot blasting is not going to be desirable. I’ll have to do some more brushing with a strong wire brush.

I cleaned up the steering rack which should be good with a lick of paint.  Speaking of painting I have also painted one side of the fan mounts but it is taking forever to dry.  Temperatures are still not high enough to paint properly.  It is really frustrating.  I can’t leave the stripped and cleaned in the garage as they will just start to rust again.  My house is starting to looks like the Dewsbury scrap yard where I picked up the car seats.

After washing the degreaser of the sub-frames and steering rack let them dry in the winter sun until the rain stopped play. I just wish it would warm up enough to paint. Guess the Six nations are calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment