Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Day 80 – all sorts ...no penalty

Good news – no penalty notice.  It has been a couple of weeks since I was down in Exeter and what with a holiday, a testing coast to coast bike ride, a christening, a couple of birthdays, work and the Olympics, obviously, getting any real time in the garage has be a problem. But I finally manage this weekend to get some time in -But what to start with?  I decided to lay the fuel lines in and fasten the “Hockey stick” so I could see where the fuel lines go in comparison with the wiring.  Then I made a final decision on the accelerator cable. This has been a question Stuart and I had pondered over.  We know the cable will come out in the wheel arch which is not something we really want but with no apparent option.  I marked up and drilled a pilot hole and mounted the inner wing to see how far it stuck out in the wheel arch. It wasn’t as bad as I thought I might even be able to rework the inner wing to act as a protection guard.


  The plan was to cut a 16mm hole and feed the cable through it then I reckoned and 25mm brass bush and 25mm conduit coupler with a couple of locking screws would secure the pedal end securely. I cut the hole but the bit caught as it broke through. Whoops! I finished the hole of with the dremel and a sanding bit.



I started looking at other jobs to be done and went back to the images from MSC and my own photos to assess to the positions for the studs in the bulkhead that I am going to use for the Main +12v supply and Ground from the battery and IGN+.  Being a plastic car you can get away with things like this. I was flicking through the photos when I saw something I recognised.  It was a hole in the inner wing of another Murtaya with the accelerator cable running through it. Exactly like the one I had done earlier.  I’ll be honest being a novice builder and not having a manual to go from there are times when you start second, third and fourth guessing yourself.  Every hole and cable you cut you find yourself debating whether you will need it later or is it in the right place. I had spent hours debating what to do with the accelerator cable and that picture showed me what to do.  My frustration got the better of me and I spent the next 5 hours pouring over the photos gleaning as much information as possible. I figure the more I am aware of what is coming up the easier it would be to make decisions, cuts and holes.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment