Thursday, September 1, 2011

Day47 15-8-11 – Woohoo! Toys!!

I had an email from Ben two weeks ago subject: a slight slipup.  Turns out there had been some confusion between the lads and their suppliers and they had been provided with all the bits and not just the module 2 parts – a slight slip up?  Basically they were asking if I would be prepared to pay for the third module also.  I thought about it overnight and called them in the morning and with some discussion I agreed to cough up the remaining price.  This will mean I’m on baked beans on toast for the next couple of months but at least I won’t be short of things to do – There goes my social life.
Got a call last week from Ben arranging a delivery date.  I decided to take a few days off after the delivery date to try a make a start on the car and make some progress on the build.  Ideally I want to get the car to the point where the car can be lowered to its wheels but that would mean getting the engine in.  I’ll see how I get on, could be wishful thinking. 
D-Day: Whilst waiting for the lads to turn up I finished up the rear brake pipes I’d started earlier in the week.  Dan had come down on Tuesday evening and we torqued up the bolts on the rear sub-frame and suspension then went on to mounting the rear brake pipes in the tunnel.  With the tunnel now fixed in place I realised I had ran out of 6mm P-clips.  I suspected I’d need a few more and I wasn’t sure how I was going to run the pipes to the rear callipers.
The lads arrived about half one in the afternoon and we spent the best part of three hours unloading the van and going through the parts as they came out.  Some stuff went straight inside the house such as the heated windscreen (which until it gets fitted is very fragile). There are still some parts outstanding which would follow in the next week or so as they become available.  The front and rear grilles would be delivered directly to me from the manufacturer.  Incidently manufacturer also makes the grilles for Bentley cars.
I had received the technical details for the fuel filler pipes from Ben.  I’d sent an email explaining my dilemma. The pipe in the pictures and the pipe I had been given were different lengths and I suspected I didn’t have enough if I followed the instructions.  The lads had brought up two alternative pieces of pipe, however, the diameters were different one too small and one too large.  After a bit of discussion I agreed to proceed and they would send the correct piece up with the other bits.
The lads left me to my toys with a long trip ahead of them back to Exeter.  We had covered a lot of ground in what felt like a very short time, my head was buzzing with headlights, windows, locking mechanisms, doors, dashboard and an awesome looking bonnet.  That night I sat down and went through the list having a closer look at the parts just getting a handle on things and the work ahead.  There were a couple of minor issues and things I can’t account for but a call to Graham should put it right.


Now with the details for the Fuel line filler and breather pipe I marked out the three hole positions two through the boot floor and the filler cap mounting.  I’m always nervous cutting big holes in the exterior bodywork – no room to fluff it up.  I double checked the measurements and drilled three pilot holes on the centre points I’d marked out. I cut out the exterior hole.  Now having pilot holes I can cut the holes from underneath the car.   Doing it this way it is easier to keep the drill square to the floor.  I cut out the breather pipe hole then looked at filler pipe hole.
  Drawings showed I need a 64mm hole but the pipe going through is only 42mm that seems a lot of backfilling with sealant.  I took a risk and chose a 54mm hole cutter.  If I had to I’d have to cut it larger if necessary. I decided to cut the pipe. I took a hacksaw to the top “flange” part of the pipe, in line with the diagram. The lower half of the pipe I marked up and cut and then the lower end of the “waste” section of the pipe according to the diagram.  I put the two pieces in place and compared them to the pilot hole location.  It looked surprisingly good.  Good enough I decided to cut the hole out.
After cleaning up all the edges I put the flexible pipe on the underside pipe and pinched it up with a jubilee clip. I fitted the filler cap on the top end then with it all in place and a couple more jubilee clips put it all together. I might have to chop 20mm of the bottom of the top pipe (if that makes any sense) but it all looks good.  I drilled the 6 fixing hole of the filler cap and realised I didn’t have any polyurethane sealant. I rang Graham about all the questions I had collated over the last couple of days.  Turns out they had an eventful drive home with someone dropping a brick from a bridge over the motorway into the windscreen of their van.  I suspect that woke them up. The police were not interested – stating that the perps “would be gone by now” and they are probably right....till the next time...and then?



No comments:

Post a Comment