Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Day 37 – 11/5/11 - On to the fuel tank

I received an email from Ben today with the layup details for the steering column hole in the front bulkhead.  I checked my steering column and confirmed I need a 53mm hole cutter pity I only have a 51mm cutter.  I’ll see if I can borrow one.

Dan popped round to give me a hand for a couple of hours to finish off the trimming down the roll bar nuts. I showed him the rear sub-frame problem I also noted the exhaust mounting bracket will also foul the tub by 1-2 mm.  I figure I’ll grind the metal back a bit and then see how it fits.  Shame to cut the dry powder coating but I’d prefer to cut the metal back and touch it up with some POR15 than start hacking into the resin and risk breaking into the foam.

We then pulled the fuel tank straps out of storage and held them up to the predrilled holes. The front holes are cut M6 but the provided bolts are all M8.  I drilled out the holes and moved on to the back holes.  These holes were drilled M8 but not drilled through to the other side of the tub.  I had to extend the drill bit in the chuck to actually drill through to the other side.
 
Now we got the fuel tank out and a bag of new fuel pipes.  I was about to remount the metal fuel pipe assembly that takes the fuel feed, return and vent lines from the top of the tank to the side where the new pipes would connect.  I pulled the coils of pipe out of the bag.  Ah! Now I see a problem or rather don’t see.  There are three lines on the tank and only two pipes.  I laid the pipes out and they were of equal length (3.5metres).  I went back to the delivery list, Yup! 2x8mm and 1x6mm pipes each 3.5metres. I’m a pipe short.  There was also another issue.  The main fuel feed pipe wasn’t metal it was actually plastic. The end had a 2 part connector (with a push,squeeze,release action) that would not fit the new fuel pipe in a month of Sundays.  I had a look in the car builder solutions catalogue and was unable to find anything like it.  I had to send photos of the rear sub-frame holes to Graham and Ben and I gave them an update and requested a fuel line.  Ben also asked for some photos of the rear sub frame holes which I sent.









No comments:

Post a Comment